installation hangs...

David Bird obsidion at ihug.co.nz
Sat Sep 23 20:12:27 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 03:19, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve been using redhat and fedora for about 7 years.
> But lately everytime I run a yum update something breaks, and it´s
> costing me time and money and sleep and headaches...
> So I DLed a kubuntu cd and played around with it and really dug it and
> decided to install it.
> But every time I try to install it, the installation hangs at copying
> packages 97% 10sec left.
> I tried about 4 or 5 times.
> It will just hang and hang and hang.
> And eventually I can do nothing but powercycle the machine.
> Any suggestions?
> Do you suppose if I dl the ubuntu disk, and then apt-get kubuntu desktop
> after I´ll have better luck?

  This would/should work though you will have all the gnome stuff installed
too. Make sure you use sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop though won't you.
The other thing to try first is doing a server install, this will not install
any xserver stuff but the above command once running will do that for you.
I'd sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after enabling the
universe and multiverse repos as well and the backports ones.

David