gnome or kde?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Sep 24 17:08:12 BST 2006

> On Sunday 24 September 2006 4:07 am, Gert Gast wrote:
> > Hi all, I just installed Dapper 6.06 Ubuntu, and I'm not so sure whether
>
> like gnome that much. It is very slick, but kde has far more options and
> flexibility with customisation. So I wonder, does it make sense to install
> the kde desktop on top of ubuntu and then at least be able to choose at
> startup. If that's a possibility what would I have to install apart from
> the kde deskstop. Else, would that cause major problems with dependencies
> etc and is not recommended? Anyone has any experience with that?

I'm running Kubuntu, and I agree with you about the flexibility of KDE versus
Gnome (it's why I switched from Fedora Core to Kubuntu; KDE support in Fedora
Core was grudging at best).

Having said that, there are some Gnome applications that I prefer to use over
their KDE counterparts; the GIMP is easier for me to use than Krita, for
example, and I use GRAMPS for genealogy work, and I believe that both Firefox
and OpenOffice.org are built with Gnome components rather than KDE
components.  I've found that as long as the Gnome libraries are installed
(such as GTK), then the programs run fine within KDE.  And, of course, with
Adept or apt-get, if you choose to install a Gnome package within KDE, all of
the dependencies which are required will be downloaded and installed at the
same time.  I don't have the gnome desktop installed, but I've had systems in
the past which had both installed, and never encountered any problems.

Hope that helps.

Editor In Chief at Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Check out the Cthulhu Wiki: http://www.mossroot.com/cthulhuwiki
AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope at gmail.com
Skype/Gizmo: underpope
"You can't trust your judgement when your imagination is out of focus."
		(Mark Twain)