gnome or kde?

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 13:48:54 BST 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 3:07 am, Gert Gast wrote:
> Hi all, I just installed Dapper 6.06 Ubuntu, and I'm not so sure whether I
> like gnome that much. It is very slick, but kde has far more options and
> flexibility with customisation. So I wonder, does it make sense to install
> the kde desktop on top of ubuntu and then at least be able to choose at
> startup. If that's a possibility what would I have to install apart from
> the kde deskstop. Else, would that cause major problems with dependencies
> etc and is not recommended? Anyone has any experience with that?
>
> Cheers, Gert

I'll add my voice to those already in agreement.  You can install both on the
same machine and use which ever suits you best.  That's the beauty of Linux,
and especially Debian based distros.  The apt package manager will find and
download the dependencies for you.

Also if you want KDE 3.5.4 add this to your sources.list file (under /etc/apt)
either through editing the file directly or using adept / synaptic:

# This will get you the things you need to play dvds:
deb http://packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free
deb-src http://packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free

# This will get you the latest version of KDE:
deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest/ dapper main
deb-src http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest/ dapper main
# NOTE:  replace the /kde-latest/ with /kde-354/ if you want to make sure you
# don't get an updated version before you wanted it.

# This will get you the latest version of amarok:
deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/amarok-latest/ dapper main

Save the file, and do a "sudo apt-get update" and it'll point you to the new
stuff.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.