Installing Firefox-OT

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 01:54:20 UTC 2006

Billy.
Please forgive me for not fully understanding. I've
just completed my first compile or rather Rune
Baggetun
took me by the hand and walked me through it step by
step. Thanks for kind people like Rune.
Ok, I understand that you get the source code from the
author site such as "mplayerplug-in-3.31" from the
mplayerplug-in download uri at sourceforge.net. And I
gather from your comments that you wont get this from
the Kubuntu mirrors only kernel source codes. Got that
if I'm correct so far. What I don't fully understand,
or accept, is your statement that "The
source repository
should only be the same version as the available
binary and ... ." Which suggests that I should only
compile for the sake compiling on my distro not for
upgrading purposed; of course, I'm likely
misunderstanding you. My mozilla-mplayer-3.17 dapper
6.0.6-1 just wont play embedded videos. So, at Rune's
suggestion we compiled the cvs version 3.31 and now I
can play embedds on mozilla browser. Someone on
Kubuntu users, I think, recently told me that a tar.gz
for mplayerplug-in or maybe it was mozilla-mplayer,
version 3.30. was available from Kubuntu mirrors(which
one?) which is what prompted my original OT question.
I'm just trying to understand how to get a newer
version of mozilla-mplayer, or mplayerplug-in via some
Kubuntu mirror(not necessarily supported ones) as the
version 3.17 available just wont work for me. Thanks
for your insight.