Organizing home movies

marcus lists at wordit.com
Mon Sep 18 23:33:09 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 21:33, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Will it show me a thumbnail view of my movie files

It does display thumbnails of most files, that probably depends on KDE,
but you'll have to ask on the mailing list whether it handles AVI
files. If not you can place a feature request. Movies usually do not
show in Konqueror as thumbnails or do they?

A simple way, is to create snapshot(s) from your movies as JPEGs/PNGs.
Then create an image field in your database (collection fields) and
place the image in that movie's entry. This is how DVD and CD covers
are displayed. There is usually a way if you think about it.

> , and let me open them by a click (or double)?

Yes, it took me 5 minutes to create a DB, add some movies I have
recorded from TV. It creates a link (called URL), and it launches the
movie in Kaffeine for me when clicked.

> And can I tag those thumbnails to show only the
> ones related to what I want?

I'm not sure about thumbnails, see above. Read my last mail again, and
follow the link on cross-references (grouping).

Just install it and play around with the program for a while. Join the
mailing list for more advanced questions. Use the latest version
1.2.2.1(?). The standard Ubuntu repositories have an old version. See
my and Hawkwind's emails for links.

Marcus