Sharing files between VMWare XP installation and Kubuntu

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 16 18:09:02 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How would I go about moving files between Kubuntu and an installtion
> of XP on VMWare? Until now I've been using a USB drive, but now I need
> to move a 1 GB file and it doesn't fit. I thought about using FTP with
> the server on Kubuntu and the client on XP. But, what IP address do I
> access Kubuntu with?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Why not use windows file sharing to transfer files, saves you having to
setup an FTP server.
As to what address the host (Kubuntu) has, that depends on how you have
setup VMware networking.
If you have it set to be a NAT network then the kubuntu host will use
the address for vmnet1 (ifconfig vmnet1),
if you have setup a host-only network then the address will be assigned
to vmnet8
and for bridged networking then you need to look at the adapter you set
VMware to bridge to.

Tez