kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

Billy Pollifrone billy at silverbaseball.com
Tue Sep 12 15:29:07 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Ok. Run the script from a konsole by simply typing
> > the full path name
> > at the prompt. The shabang should tell the shell
> > what program runs it.
> > If you still have trouble, add a "-x" argument and
> > debugging info will
> > be printed out as each line in the script executes.
> >
> > - Billy
> Thanks Billy,
> For this bit of info. The shabang thing mentioned
> before is, I'm guessing, !/bin/sh or !/bin/bash line
> at the top of the file telling the command what script
> type to run. What a nickname. It's like acronyms, If
> you don't already know what it means then you don't
> know what it means. I'm slow but getting there, I
> think.
> Thanks again for you help.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Actually, I misspelled a little since I hadn't had my coffee. It
should've been "shebang."
It's just a magic number that the shell knows to look for. It's
contracted from sharp (#) and bang (!) characters. If you are
wondering, those odd names are so that the programmer could specify
those characters by name since they are not valid in variable names.
There's others like splat (*) and others.

I know. It didn't help to answer your question, but you were wondering
what it was. :-D

Anyway. You'd probably want (#!/bin/bash) as your first line so you
can simply call the script without specifying the interpreter to be
used. If that is okay, then add the -x since it will tell you which
command in the script is failing.