Why aren't my etc/cron.daily scripts running?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 11 05:47:15 UTC 2006

Rich Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 23:59, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> Using Kubuntu 6.06.
>> My scripts in /etc/cron.daily are not running.
>>
>> What program makes them run?
>>
>> Larry
>>
>> --
>> Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
>> Using Thunderbird on Linux
>
> Can you copy/paste your cron.daily right here?

Thanks for your very fast response Rich.

I post below the contents of cron.hourly, cron.daily and /etc/crontab.
It seems cron.hourly runs just fine as evidenced by the results of cronenv.

root at kinda etc # ls cron.hourly
-------------------------------
cronenv  getmyip  kmod  whoami

root at kinda cron.daily # ls
---------------------------
0anacron    bsdmainutils     iran       save-env     sysklogd
whoami      apt         cronenv          logrotate  setdate
update-menus            aptitude    find.notslocate  man-db
slocate.lba  updmyip    backdx4win  getmyip          samba      standard
     wcdscan

root at kinda etc # cat crontab
-----------------------------
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file.
# This file also has a username field, that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 *    * * *   root    run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report
/etc/cron.daily
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report
/etc/cron.weekly
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report
/etc/cron.monthly
#

Finally cronen:root at kinda cron.hourly # cat cronenv
#!/bin/bash
# lba: echo cron enviromnent to /root/cronlog
echo
echo Cron.hourly path is: >>cronlog
echo $PATH >> cronlog
echo