Very ODD, Adept update icon ? NO Update, Broken ?

Hawkwind hawkwind at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 00:27:22 UTC 2006

On 9/10/06, Richard <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Okay, did a FRESH install of Kubuntu 6.06.1
> went to the source list :Sources.list generator web site,
> and re-did the sources.list file.. all went well,
> had 100+ updates, all downloaded and install...
>
> THEN oh oh...
> -------------
> I rebooted, and notice the icon for updates, was in my tray.
> so, click on it and its said have 2 upgrades.... ok.
> click fetch, and installed.... I notice the upgrade icon did not go away,
> the updates where for amarok mp3 play, hmmm
> So, I open a terminal window and did: sudo dpkg apt-get --configure -a
>
> NOPE. still there,
> click on icon and did the fetch update and install and quit
> NOPE. icon still there, rebooted twice, NOPE.
>
> Installed synaptic package installer, and delete all cache,
> and quit, click on the update icon and it re-fetch the packages,
> and installed... NOPE. icon still there saying 2 packages to be updated.
>
> Okay, this is nutz... open up synaptic package installer, and click
> refresh,
> and a error message came up.. (hmm) no error message in adept installer.,
> said: GPG error http://kubuntu.org dapper release....etc. signatures
> couldn't
> be verfied because public key is not available NO_PUBKEY A506E...........
>
> Okay, NOW what?
> Is there a SIMPLE way of fixing this problem
>
> Thanks in Advance ( NEWBIE-NOVICE)

Just curious...have you opened a terminal and typed: sudo apt-get update &&
sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade  ??

See what that does.  Over the years I've come to realize that GUI package
managers don't do the job that running the commands from CLI do.  This is in
every distro I've ever tried.  Not sure why it is, but that's just how it is
and I'm one of millions that think this way.  The power of a Linux OS is
from the CLI.  It's easier to learn than most people think it is.  It's also
quicker to use a package manager from the CLI from my experience.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Rich

With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Registered Linux User #362532 Registered Kubuntu User #331
http://seerofsouls.com http://linuxfordummies.org http://urpmi-addmedia.org
IRC Channels (irc.freenode.net): #LFD #Kubuntu #Ulteo