Bash Scripts-HowTo

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 10 20:04:16 UTC 2006

> On Saturday 09 September 2006 15:56, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > Would appreciate the correct command and syntax
>
> I think you want:
>
> /bin/bash -c "sudo appname"

Thanks for this. Will try it soon.

> from the command line run a script with:
> sh myscript.sh

Are you saying that you can run the script from the
konsole with "sh myscript.sh" also in addition to
"/bin/bash -c "sudo appname"". Sorry to be so dumb on
the subject but I only attempt to run script out of
absolute necessity.

> If the script has the "shebang" line at the top,
> then bash will use the
> correct interpreter, and you can just run ./myscript
> e.g.

Never seen the "shebang" line at top of any script
file. guess I need to look harder. What I do see at
the top of most script files is "!/bin/sh". Could you
list at least one script in Kubuntu with that
beginning line.?

> #!/bin/bash

Duhh, confused here; please stay with me. Is the root
command "!/bin/bash" the correct one to use and not
!/bin/sh?  At the start of every script file I look
at, is the command? !/bin/sh which I thought
successfully ran the script in the past. Maybe I
misremember. Would you please elaborate on this so I
may fully understand.

> or for Perl scripts:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> Personally I like to use extensions like .sh or .pl
> so I know what kind
> of script it is, but you don't need to.

I haven't the slightest understanding of this.
Guessing that .sh is a shell script and .pl is a Perl
script and each requires the correct command line
syntax as you mentioned above.

> Marcus

Thanks for trying to help. Obviously I'm a hard fix on
this and have little knowledge on running scripts. I'm
open to any reference on running the script but
definitely not writing or understanding what the
script is doing. Thanks again.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net