Mails Migrations

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Wed Sep 6 12:06:56 UTC 2006

Rich Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 23:52, Adeel Jawed wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can any one tell me how can i import my Email from "Mail-Kontact" into
>> Thunderbird in linux.
>>
>> its urgent pls help me
>>

>> Adeel Jawed
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#kmail
>
> ^^ That is the only way possible. Sorry.

It is not completely true that this is the "only" way possible.  There
is one other alternative, although a little more difficult, but with
some advantages.  You can set up an IMAP server (I use cyrus) and move
your email to it.  Then you can get to it with quite a few different
email clients.  I also use fetchmail to retrieve my email from my ISP
and using sieve, I pre-sort my email into various folders.  I can also
access it from any where in the world (using imaps) that I can get onto
the Internet.

It does take more work to setup initially than the option given in the
Mozilla FAQ, but in the long run I believe that it is worth while.
Obviously this loses some appeal if you only have one computer
(especially if it is a laptop and you carry it with you).  It is
however, a good way to start learning to administer an email server.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account