One user, two passwords?

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 11:21:44 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, MLA <mla at forrussia.org> wrote:
>     I'm toying with a couple of ideas for security, and was wondering if it's
> possible to assign a user two passwords, each with different levels of
> permissions. For example, password A is for normal login, maybe some
> administrative tasks, while password B is the key to the kingdom, rm -rf /
> kind of power. I've been looking through the documentation on sudo, but
> haven't found anything relevant yet. I suppose the first question I should
> ask is if it's even possible to have two passwords?
>     :Peter

In a word No. There is no problem at all giving any given user 2 or
more names, and by making the different users members of different
groups you can exert a lot of control over access. In my setup I had 2
user names, one for normal internet access with a restricted groups
membership, and the other with more power including sudo.

Bob