One user, two passwords?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 5 17:47:02 UTC 2006

MLA wrote:

>     I'm toying with a couple of ideas for security, and was wondering if
>     it's
> possible to assign a user two passwords, each with different levels of
> permissions.

I guess it depends what you actually mean by a "user".  You can assign two
user _names_ the same _uid_ and home directory (I do that because I want
access to my home drive from my corporate Windows box, and it's simpler to
use the userid/password I logged onto the Windows network with).  You
_might_ then be able to add one of the two users to different groups -
though I rather suspect that's based on uids, not user names.

--
derek