kubuntu spamassassin - kmail

Rob Blomquist rob.blomquist at verizon.net
Mon Sep 4 06:27:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 10:58, karl vanwynsberghe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install spamassassin in combination with kmail (kontact).
> Is there anyone who knows the trick?
Easy. Just run Tools/Anti-Spam Wizard after uploading SA.
Next I hope you have a bunch of spam emails around so you can run something
like this daily (I dropped it into a script, and run it from cron nightly so
it learns the good from the bad):

#! /bin/bash
echo "SpamPile";
sa-learn --spam /home/robbo/Mail/SpamPile/cur/;
echo "Ads";
sa-learn --ham /home/robbo/Mail/Ads/cur/;
echo "Computer";
sa-learn --ham /home/robbo/Mail/Computer/cur/;
echo "Home";
sa-learn --ham /home/robbo/Mail/Home/cur;
echo "Fishing";
sa-learn --ham /home/robbo/Mail/Fishing/cur
echo "Listservers";
sa-learn --ham /home/robbo/Mail/Listservers/cur

#EOF
 But you want to run the first line
(sa-learn --spam /home/robbo/Mail/SpamPile/cur/) on a big "corpus" of spam to
teach SA what you consider spam to be. And do first set up that line and all
the others to be for your system.

I have Kmail put all spam into a folder called SpamPile, any it misses go
there too. All the ads I recieve (and I asked for) go into the Ads folder,
and this is scanned to learn Non-Spam aka Ham. And I scan multiple folders
for Ham to allow it to know good emails from bad.

Don't expect it to run great immediately, it needs to learn for awhile. If you
recieve a low volume of mail, you may want to try using Razor with SA, it
will bat 100% right out the door, but it takes a good bit more time to
process each email, and it slows down all of Kmail during the scan.

> Does an apt-get install spamassassin work?
> (What repository do i need?)

If you have the Universe repository set up you will get it with that line.

Rob

--
Mountlake Terrace, WA