Changing machines.

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 00:35:27 UTC 2006

David Bird wrote:
> On Sunday 03 September 2006 11:30, gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen
> wrote:
>

>> I figured that the answer would be something like that - it kinda makes
>> sense.  So the suggested method of re-installing but keeping as much of
>> the archived atp packages as possible is the most sensible path...
>>

>> just to itterate...
>>
>> 1) install standalone Kubuntu from CD
>> 2) copy /var/cache/apt/archives from old HDD to the new HDD
>> 3) edit the new machines /etc/apt/sources.list to match the old machine
>> (copy?)
>> 4) sudo apt-get update
>> 5) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> could you also copy /var/cache/apt/archives to a CD and use sudo apt-cdrom
>> add???
>>

>   Yes though it means that you need to have the cd in of course and cds are
> slower to read than an hdd is. The other thing is that depending on your set
> up it may need you to keep changing cds which can be a pita. I find that
> copying the contents of var/cache/apt/archives directly to the new set up is
> best.
>
>   I would change the order slightly too
>
> Install Kubuntu
>
> change sources file, yes you could cut and paste. I have my sources list saved
> in my gmail, very handy if I am at someone else's place helping them install.
>
> run apt-get update
>
> copy  archives or add cd of them
>
> then apt-get dist-upgrade
>

> David

As long as you are moving from an Intel CPU machine to another Intel one
then the kernel will be fine, also the mplayer packages are all
meta-packages pointing to "mplayer" so that won't be a problem.

Just copying /var/cache/apt/archives to a CD won't let it work with
apt-cdrom as you aren't creating a repository, just a copy of the cache,
you need other packages installed to create the directory structure and
the Packages.gz files. Just copy them to the /var/cache/apt/archives
directory.

Tez