Changing machines.

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Sat Sep 2 08:32:17 UTC 2006

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:25:47 +1000, David Bird <obsidion at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>  Ok if you've used apt-get to download them and haven't issued the clean
> command then they will be in /var/cache/apt/archives. The easiest way is
> either use a lan or a cd to put this onto the other machine. I have done
> the
> cd version often.
>  Copy the contents to a cd then copy those to the /var/cache/apt/archives
> directory. Do a sudo apt-get update after having modified your
> sources.list
> to be the same as the first machine, then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> should
> mean you have very little to download provided the first machine is up to
> date.

that's what I wanted to hear...

for the record the CD I have is Kubuntu 6.06 LTS CD (via shippit) I didn't
know about the alt cd (still don't know how to get/order it for Kubuntu
)and was a bit stunned to have to commit to 4 days of downloads. *shudder*
I need broadband!

I have access to LAN and can move the HDD in nextdoor if needs be (for DD,
etc.)

Mostly out of curiosity now....
So other than X config and specific hardware libraries, is there anything
that is likely to need adjusting wrt the new machine? i.e. is the kernel
going to cope OK? what about all the misc. software installed? since it's
all come as packages, is it likely to work on any machine equally well, or
are there install config things I may have to worry about.

in other words, how much is one machine like another (WRT software)?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind