Changing machines.

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Fri Sep 1 22:58:08 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I'm planning an upgrade... here is what I want to do:

I've been using a loaner for about a year and now have to migrate to my
'other' machine - essentially a clean machine. I'm on dialup so don't want
to spend 3-5 days downloading updates, etc.  I have considered DD-ing the
HDD but am not sure if it'd work.

what I want to know is this...

I have 2 machines, one of which is up to date. I presume that somewhere on
that machine is an archive of downloaded packages.  Can I install kubuntu
 from the live CD on the new machine and modify the repository list to
point at the old machines package archive? (hence saving me oodles of
download pain).

Alt. would be to copy the archive from a to b and point at local
repository.

so, 3 options...

1) DD the disk and hope hardware is close enough.
2) install from CD (no network to start with) on new machine and point
repository at old machine
or 3) copy package archive over to new machine after install and update
locally.

old machine
HP eVectra
CPU is celeron, 500-ish