SMP support on Pentium D

Rob Blomquist rob.blomquist at verizon.net
Mon Oct 30 03:00:11 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 15:45, Gareth Lee wrote:
> I'm trying to get dapper to run on a Pentium D (dual) processor CPU.
> The standard 2.6.15 kernel boots fine, apparently detects all my
> hardware, detects the second CPU but refuses to use it since it was
> compiled with NR_CPUS = 1.  When I boot with the latest Knoppix release
> (2.6.17 kernel) it detects and uses both the CPUs so there is no
> fundamental incompatibility (... but I'd much rather run Kubuntu!)

I am running the smp kernel 2.6.15-27-386 which I got using uname -r so don't
blame me if its not exactly that name, and my dual processor is working
perfectly.

It bummed me out that Ubuntu bunted on detecting my processor, too.

But since installing the smp kernels, everything seems to run just fine, and I
see the 2 processors detected during boot using dmesg.

Rob
--
Mountlake Terrace, WA