SMP support on Pentium D

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Oct 30 01:30:42 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 6:45 pm, Gareth Lee wrote:

> As a third alternative I tried obtaining the kernel source files,
> compiling with the same configuration as the default kernel except
> SMP was enabled and NR_CPUS set to 2.  This appears to build
> and install a valid kernel and a set of modules but does not generate
> a initrd file.

How did you build the kernel?  I haven't booted mine yet, but I just built my
first kernel after switching (to Dapper) from Debian (Sid).  I don't see any
surprises in /boot and I'm optimistic that its going to work fine when I get
around to rebooting in a bit.

After I patched the kernel and tweaked the config (for Linux audio, nothing of
concern to you), I used:

fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -k8 --revision 1 --initrd kernel_image
kernel_headers modules_image

to build the debs.  (-k8 because I built it for my arch)

Did you perhaps build the kernel the old fashioned non-Debian way?  make-kpkg
is one of the best things about Debian, and its derivatives.  That and
module-assistant make managing your own kernels almost painless except for
the compile time.

In case you have no clue what I'm talking about, here are the directions I
just refreshed my own memory with (you can ignore the bits about patching and
whatnot, but the instructions how to set up and use make-kpkg are good, and
don't forget to install fakeroot if it doesn't pull in automatically):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToVanillaKernelWithRealtimePreemption

> not find the new modules in the standard initrd (and will not
> apparently boot without a ramdisk).

I gave up on this years ago, and just decided to go with the flow and use an
initrd.  It's very tedious to build a kernel that will boot without one, if
not completely impossible.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/