Upgrading from dapper to edgy
fred.schaer at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 28 18:16:21 BST 2006
Don't know if it will "help you", but here is what I had to do when I
upgraded to edgy (kubuntu) today :
- follow the wiki (this one is easy ;) )
Then upgrading did not go well, installing xorg failed :(
Maybe my problems came from the fact I installed (and uninstalled) once
- uninstall the whole xorg by removing :
* apt-get remove x-window-system-core xorg-driver-fglrx libgl1-mesa
(actually, it was the mesa libs that prevented x from beeing
installed... they were "conflicting"... ??)
- this also removed my KDE ... so I had to reinstall it :
* apt-get install kubuntu-desktop python-qt3 python-kde3 ubuntu-minimal
* please note I had to install the kde-i18n ...
- Now, KDE fonts were all "dirty", so I had to edit my fonts preferences
and set the maximum cleartype options (dont know how to translate the
french words... the maximum "thing" is about "hinting")
- firefox did not want to go on https sites ! So I had to :
* mv /usr/lib/firefox /usr/lib/firefox.old
* mkdir /usr/lib/firefox (it did not want to install the package if
directory was not created)
* apt-get remove firefox sun-java5-plugin
* apt-get install firefox sun-java5-plugin (maybe I could have used a
"install --reinstall ?)
That's all I had to fix today... I hope there won't be too many other
things broken !
P.S : now, "apt-get install kde" still does not work, I don't know
why... there aslo conflicts in kde multimedia, I have libraries that are
newer that what should be installed - weird...
D. R. Evans a écrit :
> On 28/10/06, Ylan Segal <ylan.segal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> rashid wrote:
>> I followed the wiki instructions and I am now running edgy! So far,
>> everything seems to be running fine.
> I am happy for you. Most people seem to be upgrading successfully.
> Unfortunately (for me) I did the same and got a very different result:
> I get a console login prompt instead of the GUI.
> I am going to do a complete new install on that machine. Life is too
> short to try to figure out what went wrong with the upgrade process
> At least I know that I won't be trying to upgrade my main machine; I
> can't afford to have that one break and be forced to do a complete
> install on it..
More information about the kubuntu-users