konqueror not displaying all folders (edgy)

Cliff Wade hawkwind at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 21:10:36 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Joseph Vella <vayu at sklinks.com> wrote:

>  Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
> Paul Worrall wrote:
>
>  On Friday 27 October 2006 07:47, Ian Rose wrote:
>
>  For some reason when using konqueror as a normal user in edgy, browsing
> to / only displays TWO folders: "/home" and "/media". The other folders
> ("/usr /bin /etc ...") are all there, but this bug prevents me from
> seeing them. Has anybody else encountered this, or know of a fix?
>
>  If a folder contains a file called ".hidden", and that file contains a list of
> folder or file names, then konqueror treats those files/folders as hidden
> also.  In edgy, there is such a file in the root folder (its actually a
> symlink to /etc/kubuntu-default/settings/hidden-root). You can either choose
> View -> Show Hidden Files, or edit/delete the above file.
>
>      I found it rather frustrating that the directories under / did not show
> up in the side pane (except for 'Root Folder', home and media) even with
> "Show hidden files' they were only visible in the main window and not in
> the side pane as a 'tree' that I was used to. So, I went to
> /etc/kubuntu-default/settings/hidden-root and renamed it to
> hidden-rootOLD (I opened konq using 'Alt F2' then typing in 'kdesu
> konqureror' - gave my password and then navigated to the offending file).
> Now I can see all the tree structure as it _should_ be ;-)
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>
>    Is this a 3.5 issue? I don't have this problem.

This was done in Edgy.  It's a new *feature* as they call it.  IMO it's one
of if not the worst feature anyone has ever thought of.  I mean, what's the
point and what does it accomplish other than complete confusion.

With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Registered Linux User #362532 Registered Kubuntu User #331
http://seerofsouls.com http://linuxfordummies.org http://urpmi-addmedia.org
IRC Channels (irc.freenode.net): #LFD #Kubuntu #Ulteo