Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 only loads X in Failsafe graphics mode

rashid rashid786 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 10:29:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm completely new to mailing lists so forgive me if I do something wrong. (I
usually post on web forums, using KMail to post feels weird)

I downloaded the Kubuntu Edgy ISO for x86 and booted from it. The boot splash
and everything seemed to work fine, however, when booting from my PCI nvidia
FX5500, instead of loading X, it just goes to a command line on tty1 or
something like that. When I type startx it just gives an error.

So I changed to my integrated intel on board graphics chipset, and this time
it gives me an X cursor, then changes to a nice KDE white mouse pointer...and
then the screen goes black and I can't do ANYTHING. Not even a commandline.

However, I can boot to my intel chipset in failsafe mode, though everything is
painfully slow and i can barely manage to load Konqueror etc

I'm assuming this is a problem with my drivers...I heard that I should do a
sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-all however I can't do that from a
LiveCD, and if I install fully and it doesn't work...well, I'll be in
trouble :P

Thanks for any help.

P.S. How do I get the >>>