problem with Time in Dapper

Howard Coles dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 20:26:26 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> "Howard Coles Jr." <dhcolesj at gmail.com> writes:
> >

> OK, good.  It could be that all it took was that one-shot reset, or it
> could be that whatever was causing problems with timekeeping is not an
> issue right now.

We'll see.  I think I'm going to upgrade to Edgy tonight.  I tried Edgy on a
Thinkpad T40 and it seems to do ok with everything except the Cisco Aironet
Wireless card. (of course that didn't work in dapper either so . . . )

The one last thing that could be responsible is your time keeping
> hardware.  If you are running a multi-CPU AMD64 system, especially with
> an NVIDIA chipset on the motherboard, you could be running into one of
> the semi-regular bugs that seem to bedevel that hardware.
>
> Routine advice on the linux-kernel mailing list includes:
>
>   use idle=poll  (ouch!)
>   turn off ACPI
>   force use of the PIT/PM timer/HPET
>   buy a better motherboard
>
> I can't go into much more detail on that specific issue as I am not hurt
> by it[2] so I never learned the details of resolving it.

I am running an ASUS Motherboard, but with a x86 not 64bit  AMD processor,
and an NVIDIA Chipset.  That's why I turned off Hardware checking in the
ntp.conf file.  Not only that but this issue has been plaguing me since I
put Kubuntu on it some time ago.

Anyway, if your time continues to drift or you find that NTP is not able
> to keep up you might consider investigating that and possibly taking
> your issue to the kernel mailing list for help from some real experts on
> that front.

 I'll probably reply back here after I upgrade to Edgy and see what happens.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.