Installing side by side with Win2k Pro

Earl Violet ejviolet at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 03:57:29 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Jose Gomez-Dans <jgomezdans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I want to install Kubuntu on a spare disk on my machine at work.
The
>> disk hangs off /dev/hdd, and it can all be used for kubuntu
purposes.
>> However, I would like to ensure that the Win2k disks are not
touched
>> at all. Not the MBR or anything at all. Ideally, when I restart
>> kubuntu and take out a floppy disk, Win2k should use its own
>> bootloader to silently proceed with booting up.Ubiquity does not
let
>> you not install grub in the MBR (and doesn't let you do a boot
disk).
>> Does anyone know how to create a bootdisk for Kubuntu?

>Not off the top of my head.  Grub can be configured to use a
>chainloader, which will use grub, and then if you select windows it
>will go to the windows bootloader.  It does require overwriting the
>MBR however.  I haven't done it before, but in theory it should
>work.

I've done it several times with several Distros with no problem.
Linux will overwrite the MBR and will give the option of booting into
either. When I finally got another computer and Moved Kubuntu to a
separate machine, I ran "fdisk /mbr" from a Win98 install floppy and
all was back as normal.

>> Moreover (and this is probably more a win2k question), I would
like
>> Win 2k not to even recognise the Kubuntu disk (which is ext3
anyway),
>> and that it doesn't try to format it, or do strange things with
it. Is
>> there something that can be done for this?

>It shouldn't try to mess with Kubuntu anyways.  Unless you run a
disk
>formater, but that whole application's job is to display ALL
>partitions anyways so then it's doing what you (indirectly) asked
for.

Win2K will deny the existence of your ext3 partition. It won't even
see it so you couldn't format it if you wanted to.

YMMV
Earl

URL http://deserthowler.cjb.net
Instant messenger: earlcoyote