problem with Time in Dapper

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Oct 26 01:28:09 UTC 2006

Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> writes:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
>
>> I have two machines running Dapper, one a desktop the other my
>> laptop.
>>
>> The Desktop generally stays running all the time, for weeks on end.
>> The problem is the time drifts horribly.  In about 2 days the time
>> will be fast by at least 20 Minutes.  I have stopped it from checking
>> the hardware, and I have made sure the ntpd daemon is starting, but
>> no matter what it drifts.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Try chrony:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/chrony/

I think you mean 'apt-get install chrony' as it is already packaged. ;)

Anyway, that is simply another implementation of the NTP protocol, so if
there is an issue preventing ntpd from working it is reasonable to
suppose that chrony may suffer the same problem.

Finding out /why/ ntpd isn't working before we make changes to the
system is likely to be more helpful to Howard.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/