Installing side by side with Win2k Pro

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 20:17:00 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Jose Gomez-Dans <jgomezdans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I want to install Kubuntu on a spare disk on my machine at work. The
> disk hangs off /dev/hdd, and it can all be used for kubuntu purposes.
> However, I would like to ensure that the Win2k disks are not touched
> at all. Not the MBR or anything at all. Ideally, when I restart
> kubuntu and take out a floppy disk, Win2k should use its own
> bootloader to silently proceed with booting up.Ubiquity does not let
> you not install grub in the MBR (and doesn't let you do a boot disk).
> Does anyone know how to create a bootdisk for Kubuntu?

Not off the top of my head.  Grub can be configured to use a
chainloader, which will use grub, and then if you select windows it
will go to the windows bootloader.  It does require overwriting the
MBR however.  I haven't done it before, but in theory it should work.

> Moreover (and this is probably more a win2k question), I would like
> Win 2k not to even recognise the Kubuntu disk (which is ext3 anyway),
> and that it doesn't try to format it, or do strange things with it. Is
> there something that can be done for this?

It shouldn't try to mess with Kubuntu anyways.  Unless you run a disk
formater, but that whole application's job is to display ALL
partitions anyways so then it's doing what you (indirectly) asked for.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+