Kubuntu instability...

Wed Oct 25 02:34:03 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 16:25, Richard Howes wrote:
> My most common problem is sometimes the computer refuses to shut down. No
> error, it just ignores the instruction.

Did you play with your acpi=off setting in grub?
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/20799-ubuntu-shutdown-woes.html

> I get seg faults fairly regularly, mainly with Konqueror. OpenOffice Base
> is a regular crasher with seg faults, and on "recovery" I always lose the
> changes since the last successful save.

That recovery issue could be if the file hadn't loaded properly, like if you
are launching it from an app, and the temp file gets messed.

> Like the orignal poster, nothing I have tried to troubleshoot (at least in
> any detail). It's not been critical or often enough to warrant the time. I
> am techical (computer science degree and over 15 years IT/development
> experience) so its not lack of skill to track down the issues, more a time
> and will problem.

Of course it's lack of skill...lack of skill with THIS particular system. Not
a big deal, you will improve with time if you wish, or not. Most people do
not want to, and that's ok...Me? I would track these problems down
systematically from RAM to stacks to temp files, etc...