problem with Time in Dapper

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at
Thu Oct 26 05:24:07 BST 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 11:30 pm, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> "Howard Coles Jr." <dhcolesj at> writes:
> >     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> > jitter
> > =========================================================================
> >===== *   .ACTS.   1 u   24   64  377  121.646  -1800.5
> > 390.095 +fiordland.ubunt    2 u   20   64  377  113.241
> > -1950.7 512.593 +Time1.Stupi.SE   2 u   28   64  177
> > 146.240  -1690.7 352.934
> Which shows that your NTP server has achieved synchronisation.
> Specifically, has been selected as the active peer, with
> and both remaining on the list as
> suitable candidates in the event that fails.
> So, your NTP server is correctly communicating with peers, but shows a
> *huge* offset value -- 1800.5 seconds, 1950.78 seconds and 1690.7
> seconds away respectively.
> That is indicative of non-trivial problems, and ntpd will have trouble
> correcting a time offset that big.
> One way to help that is to stop ntpd, run ntpdate to set your time
> correctly from the peer and then restart ntpd.  You should then show a
> tiny offset and have ntpd keep your time in sync.
> What timezone is your machine set to?

> Do you store UTC in the hardware?

> Do you get messages about time source or clock errors in the kernel log?

Not that I can find or have noticed.

> Do you have another time adjustment tool installed such as chrony,
> openntpd or adjtimex?  If so, did you disable it?

no other time source loaded, I don't even think I have another one installed.

> In short: NTP is working, but your timekeeping has significant enough
> problems that ntpd alone is going to have trouble ever getting back into
> sync.
> Take drastic action to correct that, then depend on ntpd, and things
> should improve.

Well, I did most of that.  I even adjusted the /etc/init.d/ntpd script to stop
and wait for ntpdate to run because I was having to stop and start the
service so often to get the time right.

And NO I'm not going to put ntpdate in the crontab, that's just not right when
there's supposed to be a time sync utility that keeps time. (not in Daniel's
email above, but another offshoot of this thread).

There must have been an update to the ntpd package, because since I updated
the ntpd script file and last restarted the daemon, it looks like time is
staying in sync.

root at home1:~# ps -ef | grep ntp
ntp      26249     1  0 Oct21 ?
00:00:01 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ -u 114:114

IF I read the above right the daemon was last started on Oct 21st?

However, the date and time show correct.
Here's an excerpt of what I did to the /etc/init.d/ntp-server script:

                log_begin_msg "Stopping NTP server..."
                start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/
                log_end_msg $?
                sleep 5
                sleep 2
                log_begin_msg "Starting NTP server..."
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/ --exec /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -p /var/run/ -u
                log_end_msg $?

I forget what it had, basically just some load lines calling the "stop"
then "start" sectons with "sleep 2" in between.  The interesting thing is
that this daemon runs as "ntp" could that have something to do with it?

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16! Christian bookstore