Kubuntu instability...

Tue Oct 24 14:57:21 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 02:45, Branko Vukelic wrote:

> Not really all. Just some that I use the most, like Kaffeine and Konsole.
> These two in particular are not at fault themselves. I believe that a
> sequence of apps closing, and some becoming unresponsive and being killed
> off triggered something that caused Konsole not to run as it should. Also
> aptitude behaves oddly locking /var/lib/dpkg so no other package manager
> (and even aptitude itself) can't use it. Then there is RealPlayer
> segfaulting, from time to time (not all the time)...

OK, so a tab in Konsole wouldn't return you to a prompt? Yes, that is the
command not returning properly. Has nothing to do  with Konsole. Just close
out the tab and open a new one.

Aptitude I can't say much about, but I have heard that exact same thing about
it, so perhaps you are right. I never use it, as apt-get is awesome, and just
never F's up.

RealPlayer itself has always had issues, but that has zero to do with Kubuntu.

> And no, I'm not going to try and track down the faulty bits, because there
> are too many things that I have to keep track of right now.

Join the club, but until you do, it's hard to take you seriously.

> And that has nothing to do with what I do. I don't knit, and I *need* a
> good night's sleep in order to be able to live the next day through. So you
> see my problem. I can't be spending so much time fixing Kubuntu.

> > What are you talking about? Arch is okay, but how does it surpass (in
> > actual words, not exclamations) Kubuntu, apt-get, aptitude and/or
> > Synaptic. Please, let me know.
>
> I don't know. I'm just talking about *my* experiences with both distros.
> Arch just works. Period. Nothing to tweak, nothing to fix. It just works.

Ok, so the obvious question (so this discussion can actually yield something)
is: what did you have to tweak and/or fix (outside of aptitude) on Kubuntu?

> No, you don't understand. I am NOT fixing anything. And I am not going to.
> I just wanted to see if there are ppl who find it odd that my Kubuntu works
> the way it does (i.e., bad).

And we are all still waiting for more explanation for what is "Bad"? You
haven't really said anything solid.

> Good for you. If I did try and find the problem and fix it, my wife would
> probably go berserk on me again, and my kid would start to cry. :-) I hope
> you can see my prob. I just wanted everything to work... I'll try to
> reinstall or something, but I'm not really happy about it.

Honestly, don't bother. Stick with whatever you think works, because I don't
know if you have the diagnostic skills or desire to actually stick with
something that you deem "needs work". Hey, if Arch works for you, bon chance.