cannot install programs

Sam theoneandonlysam at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 09:05:27 UTC 2006

I'll give it a try, will this work without a connection to the internet?
I'll run the following commands: apt-get install make and apt-get install
module-assistant.

Thanks for your help,

Sam

From: Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:42:56 +1000
Subject: Re: cannot install programs
Sam <theoneandonlysam at gmail.com> writes:

> When I try to install a program, the Konsole always give me always an
> answer that the command make or another command I tried, doesn't
> exist.

Well, that would probably be because they are not installed on the
computer.  The tools to build C software are not part of the basic
installation of Ubuntu because they are relatively specialized.

What you want to do is install the appropriate packages.  For 'make' the
package is, er, 'make.'

For everything else you can search for an appropriate package by using
the "search the content of packages" option at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/ to find which packages you need to install.

However:

> I tried to install the following:
>
> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-167g/Linux_1036.zip.
> It's a driver and a utility to get my USB-WLAN-adapter to work.

This is really not the best way to achieve your results.  Ubuntu ship
the rt2500 driver source as an appropriate package, so the best way to
get it compiled would be to install the 'module-assistant' package.

Then, run 'sudo m-a' in a shell and follow the prompts to have it
install the software needed to compile drivers, then build and install
the rt2500 driver for you.

That should require significantly less effort than trying to build
software by hand.

Regards,
       Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/