cannot install programs

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Oct 22 05:47:14 UTC 2006

Rob Blomquist <rob.blomquist at verizon.net> writes:
> On Saturday 21 October 2006 11:53, Bry Melvin wrote:
>
>> you should use sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
>
> I highly recommend that you install with "sudo apt-get install
> packagename.deb, as that will check the dependancies.

Er, no.  apt-get has no capability to install .deb package files; it is
only able to fetch them from a remote repository and install them.

Using apt-get to install packages is great, but if you have it
downloaded already it doesn't help much.  Which, I admit, sucks. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/