Backup solutions on Kubuntu

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 15:21:36 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 12:03 am, Michel D'HOOGE wrote:
> > I am about to migrate from Dapper to Edgy. Before doing that I want to
> > backup my important stuff as suggested, which is probably the first time
> > I am doing this! ;-)
>
> I've been looking for a while for a good solution to do backup and - even
> more important - being able to easily and quickly restore when needed.
> After trying some tools, I stopped my errand on dar/kdar. It is a kind of
> rewrite of tar, but oriented for disks and with nice, additional features
> (encryption, incremental backup, ...)
>
> dar sounds really mature to me, while kdar (a KDE GUI for dar) is young but
> still useful. Now, I have several configuration files to archive different
> parts of my system from the CLI but I still use kdar to browse the archive
> when needed.

Are there no simple backup applications that could equate to Windows Backup?
Where you open a gui click on the files you want to backup, tell it where to
back them up, and wait for it to get done?  Surely someone in the Free (as in
speech) software world has come up with one.  I wouldn't even mind paying a
small price for one.  But I'm not going to pay 245 dollars to backup my
laptop.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.