firefox locking up on certain web sites

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Oct 19 03:40:50 UTC 2006

--- gismo at iol.ie wrote:

> On Wed 18 October 2006 23:19, gismo at iol.ie wrote:
> > On Wed 18 October 2006 20:21, Bry Melvin wrote:
> > > I just tried it and get the "need a plugin"
> notice
> > >
> > > menu strip has below the logo has a java applet
> on the
> > > right hand side
> > >
> > > Your problem is probably related to your Java
> and that
> > > applet as the page loads normally without Java
> > > installed
> > >
> > > Bryann
> >
> > Right I had a feeling java might have something to
> do with it I
> > have tried it with swiftfox 1.5.0.7 and the
> standard kubuntu
> > install which is the same version running on a
> t43p.
> > I will try it now with the java off. Trouble to
> update my profile
> > on line with them ,I need the java running.
> >
> > steve
>
> Thanks that's got me in the right direction.
> I found that with java enabled it locks up but with
> java disabled and
> javascript enabled it runs fine and I can update the
> forms which is
> great.
> Now  to figure out if I have screwed up the java
> install or is it that
> version of firefox.
>
> steve

The easiest way to check it out is to install another
browser.

I recommend Opera.

If there is a problem with the Ubuntu Java from the
repository you could always suffer through installing
the Generic from Sun.

I usually installthe repository Java in Ubuntu, Then I
also install Firefox, Java 5 Flash 9 Realplayer 10 etc
using the windows versions with a wine installation.

Gives a wider range of testing capability.

Bryann