Amarok "Various Artists"

Janne Vänttinen janne.vanttinen at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 17 10:15:37 UTC 2006

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just noticed that some of the soundtracks that I have appear under
>> the artist "אמנים שונים" which translates into "Various Artists" in
>> English. How does Amarok know that these are albums with various
>> artists? The ID3 tags show the name of each artist in the individual
>> files, I verified that. And even if it was written "various' for the
>> artists names, it wouldn't show up in Hebrew, as they are English
>> language soundtrack with English ID3 tags.
>
> I think Amarok set Various Artists if an album have different artists for
> each song/track.

I believe Amarok sets the record under Various Artists if all the tracks
do not have the same artist. Minor difference, but might be annoying if
there is just one track with a different artist name.

This behaviour can be somewhat controlled from the album context menu in
the collection-tab. Right-click an album name and there are selections
for "show under various artists" and "dont show under various artists".
I haven't really tried it so I don't know how well it works, though.

--
- Janne