Problems with mounting disks & usb flash

Howard Coles dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:06:11 BST 2006

On 10/16/06, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have put a mail out on this already (re usb devices not accessible)
> but realise the problem is more complicated than just USB drives. So
> here goes;
>
> I have a strange problem since a week or so. I am running Kubuntu 6.06.1
> and have a disk partitioned in several "bits" like /, Home and swap.
> There is also an ntfs partition and a vfat (small rescue thing).
>
> Now if I go to "Storage Media" and click on any of the ntfs or vfat I
> get the following message;
> "Could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: /dev/sda2
> already mounted or /media/sda2 busy. mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda2
> is already mounted on /media/sda2"
>
> More or less the same error happens if I insert a USB flash memory or a
> USB camera.
> In all cases I can get around it by "going root" and use eg Krusader in
> root mode. I can then access the disk/usb/camera.
>
> but a while ago I just accessed these no problems and when a USB or
> camera was inserted I could access as "a normal user".
>
> Anyone has ideas?

I don't know but it sounds similar to my problem with a USB attached
scanner. I can scan just fine as root, but I cannot access the device as a
normal user at all.  I think many thought this was a Brother all-in-one
printer problem, however, I'm beginning to think its more widespread than
that.

I haven't received any replies to my inquiry, if you find anything out
please let me know as well.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.