HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sat Oct 14 04:27:52 UTC 2006

Bry Melvin <brymelvin at melvinart.com> wrote:

Harold Hartley <haroldh at midmaine.com> wrote: I'm wondering if and where I can find out if the HP Photosmart C3180
All-in-one type printer will work in linux or even in ubuntu/kubuntu.
I see a good deal on such a system and need to find out the info I look
for so I can get it for the sale price I see.

I hope someone can help me with the info.

Thanks
Harold

I recently purchased a C3140....same basic series it uses a C3100 driver set

Ubuntu breezy and dapper would not scan. Printing worked however.

It was necessary to compile the latest HPILP

Every thing works fine

Apparently Ubuntu left something out.

It als works as a  network printer which is unsupported and NOT possible in windows.

Good buy: compiling hpilp is not difficult. took about 20 minutes to set it all up/

Bryann
Clarification: scanner worked fine after compiling HPILP

I also filed a bug report as since Ubuntu uses HPILP there should be no reasonthat the Ubuntu installed HPILP doesn;t work completely.

FWIW the sane XSANE docs and pages leave you in the dark concerning these machines, The HPILP pages say scanning is supported, and is  If you compile yourself.

Bryann