Brother All-in-One

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:30:43 UTC 2006

Ok, here's the problem I'm having:
I have installed the scanner software from Brother's site, and when I log in
as root, I can scan just fine.

However, when I log in as a regular user I can only scan if I use the network
scanning functions, NOT the usb (which is much faster).

The scanner shows up as brother2:bus2;dev1 and brother2:net1;dev0 (the net1 is
the one that works even as a regular user.) to xsane.

I know this has to be a rights issue, however, I'm not sure what to modify.

I followed the instructions on the Brother solutions page
(modifying /etc/fstab, and remounting /proc/bus/usb  etc.)
Nothing works when I'm a regular user.
NOTE:  added the following line to the /etc/fstab:
none            /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   auto,devmode=0666       0       0

So . .. . What do I edit change?
I tried changing the owner of proc/bus/usb/002 and its files to root:scanner
then adding everyone to that but no joy.

Any suggestions, or suggested reading, would be gladly accepted.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

http://risenbooks.com Christian bookstore