firefox + logo

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:38:03 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> Why can i not picutre myself supporting a user and saying: "Now open up
> Iceweasel and browse to this page..."  Or something similiar.  Come on
> guys at Mozilla, get your act together this is just plain stupid

It gets somewhat complicated.  I don't think Mozilla is to blame here, though.

The Debian package maintainer decided awhile back to use the non-free
name "Firefox" but not the non-free logo.  And broke some of the
compiling rules.  And wouldn't agree to the reviews needed by Mozilla
to ensure changes made make sense.  Red Hat and Novell, as big
players, worked with Mozilla to start doing this awhile ago.

Personally, I don't really care about this disagreement.  I have been
complaining for years that Linux distributions make all kinds of
arbitrary changes to packages like Firefox, which inevitably breaks
something or other.

I think the user community should stand up and say - we want the real
Firefox, not some bizarro-world version put out by Debian, Ubuntu, X,
Y, or Z.

Then maybe someone would set up a Debian-style apt repository with the
real versions that we could use.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own