Kubuntu on Dell Inspiron 6400

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Mon Oct 9 22:57:14 UTC 2006

ยป On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 06:13PM +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
> correctly I have the ATI card in this one (915 in another and that one gets
> HOT and I have only now discovered this possible problem. One thing at a
> time...)
>
> As for any applets for this cpu temp I am yet to find one that works... as
> you can see in original thread guys in Gnome use Gkrellm (works in KDE too
> but is not to my taste - too intrusive) or TKapplet for Gnome pane

Turns out that KSysGuard can also show the temperature, though by
default it will adapt the scale; so you beter set it to some number, in
order to make the graph meaningful.

[...]

My computer had throttling on, but indeed it was getting hot (60C), and
the fans were not kicking apparently. If this is /too/ hot, is something
I couldn't determine but would love to know.

There is something wrong with the latest 2.6.17, the CPU just keeps
getting active. With 2.6.15 CPUs behave as expected.

I did:

% modprobe i8k force=1

without force it won't load, and then I could set fan state using
i8kctl. Temperature now is totally stable at 25C (well I'm not doing
anything except typing this email....)

I also found this:

1. COMPLETE HOW TO: Dell Inspiron 6400

2. Setting the i8kctl to run as daemon and how to configure it:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1325507&postcount=128

[...]

I still need to check (if there are) BIOS settings for temperature
threshold for the fan. I expect these to exist...

Cheers,
--
Francisco