Kubuntu on Dell Inspiron 6400

Orjan Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:19:20 BST 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Orjan Sinclair wrote:
>

>> Francisco Borges wrote:

> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=257684&highlight=inspiron+6400

>>> AFAIK you don't need to install a program to control the fans.
>>>
>>> I originally created this page for the Inspiron6400, and some other
>>> people have made a mess of it... but anyway check out this:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron6400
>>>
>>> (I'll try to clean this page a bit later tonight)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>> Appreciate the input. One does however get a bit worried when these guys
>> claim this is very important and one talks of a burnt LCD screen. And
>> they are Xpensive... at least where I live.
>> So I installed the i8kutils and then tried to set up kfani8k from KDE
>> apps. Did not work at all though....
>>

> I don't know about kfani8k, but I tried i8kutils when I first got my
> inspiron 6000, and it doesn't work (it really never worked for very many
> inspirons).  My fans always work as needed.

All I can say is that if I start i8kutils with modprobe (as stated in
the thread) and have the values set in /etc/i8kmon and then follow the
temp with KSysguard (figured that one out) then I can hear/see the fan
kick in at the stated temps. And I can also see that if I don't start it
then the temp will go up and up.

But if I do the "daemon" thing I get headaches major with Kmix and all
sorts of problems. Nevermind, for now I am OK with how it works, intend
to see if I can the Kfani8K going when I have time.

Sinclair