SU & SUDO

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Fri Oct 6 17:21:25 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:

> You all brought up great points! The main reason I want "su" vs.
> "sudo" is for security. Admittedly, I do not have a deep understanding
> of how sudo works but I came from a FreeBSD environment and have only
> just started using Ubuntu recently. While a lot of things are
> different to me, I do not understand the need to give applications in
> x, access to sudo. I feel that if I want to run a series of tools that
> require extra privileges, it is simple enough to su to root and be
> done with it. I would however, love to hear how the security of sudo
> is coming along, perhaps my concerns seem silly to you guys.

I have just recently come to Kubuntu from Fedora, myself, and am used to
using SU, and a bit unclear as the supposed
advantages of sudo, as well.  So, it´s not a silly question at all.
I´m following this thread with great interest.
It really seems to me that when my user account password is what I use
for sudo, that it would be less secure.
So, I find it all a bit confusing...

tony