.xsession-errors file and KDE debugging output

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Fri Oct 6 13:53:05 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 October 2006 14:58, Derek Broughton wrote:
<snip>
> please don't use terms like "spammed".  Nobody's being malicious.  It would
My intention was not to indicate malicious packagers. The Kubuntu KDE packages
are generally solid and of good quality.

"Filled with heaps of KDE debug messages", then.

> be nice if most programs could have that output suppressed with a switch,
> but it's Unix-traditional to just redirect stderr (eg: kate 2>/dev/null).
Of course, I know this, but that's cumbersome to type just for all KDE apps.
There is a nice gcc switch called '-DNDEBUG' that can be used when compiling
KDE :). I do realize that bug-reports might be of better quality when the
debug output is available.

> I'm not sure why yours are so large - mine gets cleaned out every time KDM
> restarts.
Mine to.
.xsession-errors is not the biggst of issues, but having to silence KDE apps'
stderr from the terminal is. I guess I'll end up rebuilding all the packages
(w/o debugging) myself.

Øyvind
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
 < http://www.oyvind.nu/