.xsession-errors file and KDE debugging output

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 6 12:58:30 UTC 2006

√ėyvind Stegard wrote:

> On Friday 06 October 2006 07:37, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Rob Blomquist wrote:
>> > My .xsession-errors file (17Mb!!) contains these lines:
>>
>> Mine is [a staggering] 292.2Mb ! (I've kept my /home directory intact
>> across several installs over a couple of years - so maybe that's why
>> it's so big).
>
> To Kubuntu KDE core package maintainer(s):
> Wouldn't it be possible to reduce the debugging output of KDE applications
> in the Kubuntu builds ? It's extremely annoying when starting KDE apps
> from the command line, for instance. In addition, the ~/.xsession-errors
> file is totally spammed and grows ridiculously big.

please don't use terms like "spammed".  Nobody's being malicious.  It would
be nice if most programs could have that output suppressed with a switch,
but it's Unix-traditional to just redirect stderr (eg: kate 2>/dev/null).

I'm not sure why yours are so large - mine gets cleaned out every time KDM
restarts.

To the person who asked, yes, you can certainly delete it.
--
derek