cron.daily questions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 6 18:25:03 BST 2006

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Rob Blomquist said the following at 10/05/2006 09:31 PM :
>
>> For more on this, you can read the manpage for cron or crontab. Or go to
>> one of the 86 million pages that show how to properly code cron commands.
>> I always put the code in a top line of each crontab, so I don't need to
>> see it every time I want to edit a crontab.
>
> No no no. I know how to use cron :-) I just want to know how cron decides
> that it's time to run the files in cron.daily. I can't find that info
> anywhere I've looked. Which obviously means that I haven't looked in the
> right place or come up with the right google search :-)

Rob was right, but pretty obscure.  Here's my /etc/crontab.  Clearer?

derek at othello:~$ cat /etc/crontab
# This file also has a username field, that none of the other crontabs do.
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 * * * *  root    run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6 * * *  root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron ||  \
 run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
-
>>> 2. How do I find the output from the jobs that are run in cron.daily?
>> Read up on cron, either in the man pages or on the web. If you have a
>> functioning smtp server, cron can send an email every time it runs a job
>> with the output from that job.
>>

> Yes, I know how to set up a cron job myself and how to put the uotput
> somewhere (including e-mailing it to myself). What I don't know is where
> cron puts the output in the absence of me doing anything.

Now you're just not paying attention.  In the absence of you doing anything,
cron doesn't put it anywhere.  You MUST set up an smtp server if you want
output, and if you have one you don't actually need to do anything - it
will be mailed to root (though root may not be capable of receiving mail).
--
derek