Archive in Thunderbird

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 4 12:01:04 UTC 2006

Orjan Sinclair wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 1:56 am, Gunner wrote:
>>
>>> I use backupmanager for that. it's easy to set up, supports ssh, ftp, rsync
>>> and
>>> has a sceduler for setting up when to do what.
>>> Not specific for tunderbird, though...
>>> /gunner

>> What you want to do is take old email and save it offline for retrieval in the
>> future if you want to.  I'm not sure why Archiving email was not understood
>> but that's a technical description.
>>
>> I would like to know a fast way to do that with Kmail as well.
>>
>> Every email package ought to have a way to save off old email, say anything
>> older than 90 days, to an "Archive" package or whatever, so that can be
>> burned to CD or just left on the drive.  However, once archived it would not
>> be in the live email directories or Databases.  If you have ever used
>> GroupWise its called an "Archive" because it essentially is the same
>> directory and db structure as the live system.  I believe Outlook uses
>> a ".pst" file, and Lotus Notes uses a "local" database.
>>

> I just basically want to second the above. Archiving to me in this case
> means removing from active use email that are older than a specified age
> and storing it separately somewhere. I would love to see that in Kmail.
> Did anyone say "plugins"? What happened to plugin writing?

One of the ways of doing that would be to add a filter to the "view"
thing on top of the window, filtering on the date of a folder, then move
the messages to a different folder. Then on the disk there is a new file
and a corresponding folder (in your .thunderbird or .mozilla-thunderbird
directory) that you can copy wherever you like. Hardly automated, for
sure, but for simple directory structure it's easy enough. HTH,
Ignazio

--
Ignazio Palmisano
Ph.D. Student - palmisano at di.uniba.it, ignazio_io at yahoo.it