Archive in Kmail was Thunderbird

Scott Kitterman kubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Oct 4 11:36:13 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 00:33, Orjan Sinclair wrote:

> I just basically want to second the above. Archiving to me in this case
> means removing from active use email that are older than a specified age
> and storing it separately somewhere. I would love to see that in Kmail.
> Did anyone say "plugins"? What happened to plugin writing?

One of the things I really appreciate about Kmail is the ability to store my
mail in the maildir format.  As it relates to this question, since each
message is in an individual file, you can use the standard Kubuntu file
management tools to copy off older messages and archive them.

I believe that you also have to get rid of the index files for the folders so
Kmail can regenerate them.

This should be easy enough to script.

For Kubuntu (distributions vary in this regard), Kmail stores mail at:

/home/[user name]/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/

Scott K