DigiKam and ACL

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen kubuntu at mekanix.dk
Wed Oct 4 06:52:05 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 23:06, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> > DigiKam *insists* on not allowing anyone but the owner write-access for
> > any files it creates.
> Which files in particular?
> > You must have done something else to make DigiKam behave. ;-)
> Interesting.

I got a step further. DigiKam *doesn't* remove permission-bit. It just keeps
the bits from the original. So if a files "test.jpg" have the following
permission:

test.jpg	-rwxr-xr-x

When I import this file into DigiKam, the permission-bits are the same (though
the group have changed).

So when the original has "-rwxrw-r-x" the imported pictures will have this as
well.

This is how it's done i konqueror and with cp as well, so I guess that is how
it's supposed to be with linux.

My camera gets mounted as a USB mass-storage device, with the
default-permission: "-rwx-r-x-r-x".

So to me it looks like I have no choice but changing the permissions manually
each time I import new pictures into DigiKam.

So again, how do you do it? Do you have any scripts running to automagically
change permission, or when you import your pictures from your camera, are
they already with the umask=664?

Bjarne