Simple network: desktop, laptop, wifi DSL router

Richard Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 3 23:25:26 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 17:22, marcus wrote:
[snip]
> I have a desktop, a laptop, and wifi DSL router/AP. The router has a LAN
> plug for the desktop. Can I use the wired port for the desktop, and
> wifi for the laptop? It should work, but I'm not sure how to set it up.

Can you provide a Make & Model for this DSL router?

> Like this:
>
> - desktop wired to LAN port of router

Sound fine.

> - laptop connects to LAN and DSL with wifi (DSL connection already works
> with Knetworkmanager)

That should work.

> - both machines can share files on LAN

sudo apt-get install samba
Then setup /etc/samba/smb.conf to display Network = NetworkName
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Right click and the folder and share usually.

> It should only require a few entries in /etc/network/interfaces ,
> shouldn't it?

If you set your /etc/network/interfaces to look like

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet auto

accordingly, you shouldn't have to worry.

> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Any extra information you can provide would be great. But so far I would say
you are on the right track and heading in the right direction.

--
.:Richard Johnson
.:nixternal at ubuntu.com
.:ubuntu.com .:kubuntu.com .:edubuntu.com .:xubuntu.com