Please help me understand how programs are layered

Mark A. Taff marktaff at comcast.net
Tue Oct 3 19:48:53 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 12:00, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Now, as I understand it, programs written with the QT toolkit are KDE
> apps, and those written with the GTK toolkit are Gnome apps. Is this
> correct?

No. A KDE program is a program that uses the kde base libraries, many of which
are based on QT libraries.  A QT program doesn't use kde base libraries.  KDE
has bindings so that KDE programs can be written in many languages, though
most are writtemn in C++.

A QT program will run without the KDE base libraries, while a KDE app won't.

HTH,

Mark