Simple network: desktop, laptop, wifi DSL router

marcus lists at wordit.com
Wed Oct 4 03:08:41 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 01:25, Richard Johnson wrote:
> Can you provide a Make & Model for this DSL router?

"T-Com Sinus 154 DSL Basic 3."

A router which T-com includes in new DSL packages, at least in Germany.
Quite good it seems, supports WPA2.
(Btw, "Sinus" is the sine wave in German, nothing to do with nasal
problems ;-) )

Does the router need to know about the LAN IP?
Currently I cannot access the router setup via http://192.168.2.1 from
the desktop. It works from the wified laptop though. This I don't
understand because the desktop has a direct wired connection to the
router.

> sudo apt-get install samba

What about NFS? What are the pros and cons.

> If you set your /etc/network/interfaces to look like
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet auto

Say, what about the desktop's IP ? Will DHCP provide that automatically?
(not sure DHCP is running).

I remember managing this one with a single cable between a desktop and
laptop. I had to provide some IP and subnet info etc.

On the latop side Knetworkmanager handles IPs via DHCP, so you have to
comment out all info except "lo" in /etc/network/interfaces.
I only need the laptop to see the desktop, that way I can access the
various disks and also do backups.

Thanks,

Marcus