Q: replacement for kalbum?

Juan Carlos Torres carlosdgtorres at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 23:37:01 UTC 2006

On Sun October 1 2006 9:28 pm, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Dotan Cohen said the following at 09/30/2006 03:44 PM :
> > On 30/09/06, claydoh <claydoh at claydoh.com> wrote:
> >> Gwenview is a great photo browser, and if you also install kipi-plugins,
> >> it can do some editing, rotating, and album exporting (html, upload to
> >> flikr, etc)
> >
> > Gwenview doesn't have tagging abilities. The OP didn't mention that he
> > needs it, but I think that it is a necessary feature of any photo
> > organizing program.
>
> You're right that I should have been more explicit about what I want:
> basically something very simple that can create HTML albums.
>
> Basically, the idea is that you have a series of web pages that show
> thumbnails, and clicking on a thumbnail gives you the full-resolution
> image.
>
> I just want something simple so that I can serve family photos from my web
> server to my Dad back home. kalbum was great for this; I'm not sure why
> it's not included in Kubuntu, but I expect that one or more of the programs
> that are included is a fine replacement.
>
> I have the photos already on a CD; I want to go through them, not editing
> or tagging them but just selecting which ones to include in the album.

If you want to simply make HTML galleries from a directory, you could try
using Konqueror. Go to the directory that contains the images you want to
make into a gallery, the in the Tools menu, select Create Image Gallery. You
will be given some options, like what size you want the thumbnails to be.

Then you could just replicate the directory (with the images and the thumbs
folder, of course) on your web server.